Thursday, July 25, 2024

Some Love is Simple

Let's re-examine this whole pet thing. It's important.

My relationship with Patsy is lifesaving. She brings me peace, contentment, and happiness. Everyone loves their pets, but I am going to give you details to back up my claim.

History: Carol and I have had nine cats over the years. Bandit and Nugget and Lucifer. Lokai and Max. Maka and Lakota. And now, Patsy and Emmy Lou. And one precious, special dog - Onyx. 

I have loved all of these pets. Well, except two - Lokai was a bit of a bitch and Lucifer was a flaming asshole. But as for the rest - I have loved them deeply and with extreme prejudice. But I have never had a relationship with a cat like the one I have with Patsy.

The most important thing is that she lets me love her the way I want to love her. This is important. We are on the same wavelength. I love intensely. I am Italian. I am emotional. I have to express my love physically. I shrivel up and die if I can't do that. I have to hug. I have to kiss.

When she climbs onto my lap Patsy lets me wrap my arms around her, hug her and kiss her on the head without squirming or trying to get down. Most of the time she climbs up, sits her ass on my belly, and drapes herself over the arm of the recliner - so she is right up close to me. Then she will tip her head backwards and look me in the eye - she melts me. I can caress her paw in my hand without her pulling away. 

When I am wandering around the house (sometimes she follows me like a puppy dog room to room, rubbing up against my legs every time I stop)) I can pick her up and hug her tight and kiss her head as she purrs. I love Emmy Lou fiercely as well, but she is squirmy, elusive, skinny, wiry, and insane. Picking her up is like juggling spaghetti.

When Patsy is draped over the arm of the recliner she sometimes grabs my hand with her paws, draws it to her and licks it. She drools when she gets affectionate. When my arm dangles off the side of the recliner under her she drools onto my hand. I don't mind.

She is a good sized cat but has a tiny, little meow that makes me smile. We talk a lot.

Ultimately I am trying to describe an intangible to make it tangible. It can't be done. I can never make you understand the love I have for Patsy and the love she has for me.

The closest I can come is to say she accepts my love exactly as I want to give it, and she gives me her love exactly the way I want it to be given.

That is no small gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment