Saturday, July 13, 2024

Sy Safransky

Sy Safransky started a magazine called The Sun in 1974.

I don't remember when I discovered it, but I have been reading it for decades. Apparently he accepted ads until 1990. When readership reached 10,000 he dropped ads from the magazine to transform it into a reader-supported publication.

I always describe The Sun as human, personal, quirky sometimes, honest, and raw. The writing really connects with my emotions and my soul. It is very much down to earth, real people writing real stories/essays/poems. There is a Readers Write section that publishes letters from readers that are almost always deeply personal, raw, and honest.

When you read the magazine regularly, you feel like you know Sy Safransky, like you connect with him.

Sy recently went public with a diagnosis of alzheimers disease. He has stepped down to the position of editor emeritus. He published the magazine for fifty years.

This news breaks my heart. Especially for Sy, tangentially for me. 

I have derived so much pleasure from reading this magazine over the years, and will continue to do so for as long as I can read. I respect the stand Sy took in 1990 to drop ads from the magazine - it did not make his life any easier and took a lot of guts to do. And a deep belief in himself and his staff.

I always felt Sy's influence kind of setting the tone for the words that were feeding my heart and my soul. 

But he is no longer in charge. Of the magazine or his life.

And me? Another dagger in my own heart, not so subtly reminding me of my age. So many of the people I loved and respected over the years........................you know the drill.

I have to learn to accept it. It does me no good to mourn my age. I am trying hard to celebrate the amazing gifts I have been given recently.

Some days I win, some days I lose.

No comments:

Post a Comment