Saturday, December 10, 2011

Dirty Books Done Dirt Cheap

Picked up three books at the dump last week. This is a new experience for me. The wife and I popped into the swap shop and there they were. What the hell, they're free.

Final Edge by Robert W. Walker. Never heard of the book or the author. Started reading it yesterday and was delighted. The book opens with a psycho woman and her love slave decapitating an innocent victim in a ritual to exact revenge on the world. I have to admit. I like gruesome stuff like this. If it makes me uncomfortable I know I'm alive. It wasn't the decapitation that made me squirm, it was the idea of picking a random person out of the phone book and killing them. Imagine the thoughts going through that poor woman's head as the ax fell. That is horror, baby.

Sketches by Mark Twain.  An old, brown, beat up book; yellowed pages, stains. An absolute delight. A collection of musings from the man himself. Can't wait to dig into this little beauty. It's Mark Twain, baby. Say no more, say no more.

Cosmos by Carl Sagan. A big hardcover monstrosity. Who the hell reads Cosmos by Carl Sagan? Billions and billions of stars. I am going to read this just because it is so far outside the range of what I would normally read. And that's a pretty damn big range.

So it was a cool haul. Books from the dump. How bizarre, how bizarre.

No comments:

Post a Comment