Monday, December 12, 2011

The Two Evil Kings of The Booze Underworld

"He wanted to get drunk and therefore he is drunk and there is no importance to his being drunk and it was not thinking that brought him to drinking and he is merely one more drinking fool, one more besotted tippler who may yet become a broken fool with a big red nose, a beet-colored beak for an insignia, a bulging encrimsoned nose hung on his face for a warning of the doom that comes to topers, a choice and fiery organ of smell that misled him to the redeye, to the demon's essence of corn, to the distilled extract of corn that has the curses and the mocking laughter of the Devil himself in the lure of its amber light dancing through the glass of the bottle."

Another gem from The Fiery Trail.

I must admit, its the evil reputation and nature of alcohol that is part of its allure to me. Apparently there are people who consume alcohol within the limits of what the medical profession describes as healthy. I don't know any but they are out there. I'm tempted to say that most people drink responsibly but I'm not sure that's true. I am willing to bet most people drink irresponsibly compared to the guidelines set down by Marcus Welby M.D.
Its good to be part of a fraternity that overindulges in the face of those who preach moderation. Feels good, feels right. Just a hint of evil and rebellion.
I am proud to be a whiskey drinker. So many guys tell me they can't drink whiskey, it makes them crazy. Carol would be the first one to tell you that whiskey makes me docile, insightful, obedient and just pleasant to be around.
Whiskey and tequila. They seem to be the most evil of drinks. Everybody has a tequila story. I do and it ain't pretty. Those two spirits seem to be the main instigators of evil. Whiskey drinkers and tequila drinkers have a bond, a shared pride in drinking a poison that burns down your inhibitions and slices right through to the truth with no pretense, no bullshit. Purists drink them neat, baby - no water, no ice. That is truly mocking The Devil.
And I gotta be honest with you. I love the curses and the mocking laughter of the Devil himself in the lure of the amber light that dances through every Crown Royal bottle. Especially at night. Especially at this time of year when Christmas lights add a twisted note of evil to the experience.
I'm waiting for you, Santa. What will it be? Whiskey or a little salt and lemon?

No comments:

Post a Comment