Thursday, December 15, 2011

Turning Passion Into Action (Stealing a Stand-Up)

republicans beware. Carol and I are on the front lines now, and we intend to honor our commitment with great vengeance and furious anger.
We met with a member of the re-elect President Barack Obama campaign last night in Concord to see what we could do to contribute to the campaign. We were jazzed in '08, passionate in our support of Barack Obama as he campaigned against lesser mortals. But we didn't get involved. Talked about it, but didn't do anything about it.
This time we are getting off our asses.
Met with a guy who is 75 years younger than us (Colin; that name seems to be popping up a lot lately in my blog) but passionate and knowledgeable in his support of President Obama. The room looked exactly as you would expect; sparsely decorated, cheap folding type table, folding chairs, stained upholstered chairs, buttons, posters and a President Barack Obama stand up. I have to find a way to steal the stand up; it is cool; I want it. It would be worth it just to piss off any republican sympathizers (god forbid) who enter my home.
Carol and I do not dig the phone call/door knocking stuff. We hate it when people interrupt us and we refuse to get involved in that. We're also not interested in standing around holding signs. We wanted to find out other ways to contribute to the campaign.
I suggested to Colin that I fill a burlap sack with ball peen hammers and walk around asking people if they will be voting republican. If the answer is yes, I smash them in the face with the bag. He listened intently and with respect and then gently steered me in more peaceable directions. What a leader.
Carol and I are very excited. There are ways to contribute that makes sense to us and we will do it. Period. We are all in. Carol volunteered to help out in the office, which I will also get involved in. Carol is super organized; she could single handedly run President Obama's re-election campaign if she wanted to. I was psyched to find out that there are writing opportunities available for me. I may have to tone down my anti-republican rhetoric but I am a professional; I believe I can handle it. Carol being the loving and thoughtful person that she is, even volunteered to prepare and donate food and munchies (CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES) to the campaign staff. Colin LOVED this idea. Most of these people work real jobs and volunteer at night, so they are running ragged, living on a diet of Doritos and Pepsi. I considered stealing packages of nips from The Booze Emporium to donate, but was once again dissuaded; this time by Carol.
It was exciting to be there. Felt good. Felt right. Kind of quiet last night but there were people there manning the phones and doing other stuff and you could just feel a vibe. I like it, and will like it even more when the place is bustling and buzzing with people who can recognize the difference between intelligence and integrity, and blatant cretinism.
This is my chance to make up for my lethargy back in the Viet Nam era when I was outraged and passionate but uninvolved. I have always regretted that I did not throw myself into the "change the world" revolution embraced by my generation. I regretted not getting involved in 2008 as well.
But lessons are learned and outrage stews over time until you have no choice but to act. What Carol and I can contribute is small and will have minimal impact, but at least we can say we helped to re-elect President Barack Obama in 2012. And it will feel so good when his presidency is finally vindicated somewhere down the road, when people realize how close to disaster this country came, saved only by the steely resolve and intelligent leadership of one man.
Hopefully the republican party will be destroyed in the process, when people realize they were willing to gamble with the future of this country in an all out effort to defeat the President rather than to do their jobs. The two party system can be easily maintained. republicans will quickly be replaced by kindergarten children, aged five years old and younger. Children with more wisdom, intelligence and compassion than any one of the current right wing fools currently deceiving their constituents.
We are excited. Feel like we are involved in something worthwhile. Ready to rock and ready to roll. Doing is more satisfying than talking about doing. Who knew?
If you see the stand up looking down on you from my balcony, please don't tell Colin.

No comments:

Post a Comment