Thursday, December 15, 2011

Fascinating World

Had a teacher at Northeastern University named Gary Goshgarian. The course was called Science Fiction. I took it as an easy elective. It was held in an auditorium, seating up to 400 students (Northeastern is a BIG place).
The man was amazing. It was literally like being taught by Robin Williams. He was up on stage in front of hundreds of students, pacing around, manic and hilarious. And interesting. I LOVED this guy. It was probably the best course I took in college.
If I had half a brain, it should have sparked the desire in me to become a writer. He made the stories so interesting, and I already was an avid reader with a budding awareness of fledgling writing talent. But I wasn't paying much attention in college, do to the torture of the pursuit of an accounting degree. Jesus.
I graduated in 1977. Fast forward to December 2011. Got Northeastern magazine in the mail. They have been pursuing me for 34 years, looking for donations, mailing the magazine. I have not donated one dime and I always throw the magazine away.
This time I decided to go through it just for the hell of it and there was an article about Gary Goshgarian. He is a writer and still teaches at Northeastern. The article juiced me up, bringing back excellent memories. Just went online checking out his books and ended up buying one to get a taste.
How cool is that?
What a world.

No comments:

Post a Comment