Thursday, June 14, 2012

Ladies and Gentlemen There Is Hope

Gregg Allman was on The Colbert Report last night promoting his new autobiography..
When I first heard about this I was paralyzed with fear. Gregg has not been real alert lately, and if you know anything about Stephen Colbert you know that he has a razor sharp, laser fast, intelligent sense of humor.
I wasn't sure if Colbert views Gregg as a washed up rock casualty, or if he views him as the Rock God that he is.
If washed up was his point of view, I knew he would skewer Gregg and Gregg would be helpless. If Rock God  was his point of view I figured Gregg at least had a chance.
I needn't have worried. Gregg was sharper than I have seen him lately, which is to say he was about 60% there. But I am OK with that; he looked to be a few more steps further away from death and that's what I need to see.
Colbert was respectful of Gregg, making it clear that he understands The Allman Brothers' significant roll in music history. I should have expected this. Anyone smart enough to cleverly satirize republican stupidity as he does, is smart enough to appreciate ABB.
The Allman Brothers have not been a main stream band for decades. In fact they were not a main stream band even when they were a main stream band. ABB fans are intelligent consumers; they understand music. They get the supreme musicianship this band has demonstrated for 43 years. They get the legacy, the deep love the band members have always had for the music that inspires them, the unbreakable bond between band members that says "We are The Allman Brothers Band, baby - there may be other bands out there as good as us but there ain't no band in the world better than us."
Anyway I was happy. Gregg even made me laugh a couple of times, as opposed to recent appearances before that, that made me want to cry.
And Gregg had his hair down, baby. It is rare you see him wear it down; it is almost always in a ponytail. He looked great.
In fact Gregg with his hair down looks almost as good as me with my hair down.
Check out the interview peoples; it is humorous and the man is a legend.

No comments:

Post a Comment