Saturday, June 9, 2012

A Whine and Cheese Session

I pledged to cut back on the whining but it seems I can't stop myself. That whole bit about the the sporting events I'm going to miss because of this weekend's work schedule; pleeeeeease.
Keith turned me on to some stand up by Louis C.K. Part of it deals with the way we Americans whine. I watched it right after writing the riffin' piece.
And I laughed at myself.
I can watch a replay of the Belmont Stakes in it's entirety because it is so short. I will catch the most important part of Game 7 - the second half. And I can watch highlights of the Pocono 400. It ain't the end of the world, baby.
Whining is insidious. We all do it all the time. Before you get all pumped up and say "Yeah, Joe I am so tired of reading your whiny words", stop and think for a minute. Let he without sin..................
You whine a lot. You might call it complaining, criticizing, critiquing, you might not call it anything because it comes so naturally that you don't need to label it.
But you do it too. A lot.
Pay attention to your thoughts and your conversations and you will realize that it is true.
Nevertheless, I cannot do anything about you. But I can continue to monitor myself and try to reduce the whining quotient.
I have kept the image in my head of the veterans that Gary Sinise helps. People missing limbs, amputees, people negotiating life with prosthetics, people with intellectual pain even more enormous than the physical losses.
People with ferociously positive attitudes.
And I whine because I am going to miss a two minute horse race?
Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease.

No comments:

Post a Comment