Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Perspective

I was perfectly straight at The Allman Brothers concert last night.

No beer, no whiskey, no drugs.

This is an uncommon situation.

I have been to at least 30 Allman Brothers concerts in my lifetime. I bet I have been straight 5 times.

By the way, I always feel compelled to tell people how many Allman Brothers concerts I have been to. I can't just tell them I am going to an Allman Brothers concert. I always have to say "Oh, yeah they are my favorite band in the world and I have seen them at least 30 times."

Can't just let it go. Always with the ego. Trying to prove how big a fan I am.

I am merely a fragile human looking for validation at every turn.

Anyway it is a blessing not to have to interrupt the concert to go to the bathroom and the bar.

I left my home at 6:45 last night, seated at around 8:20, The Allman Brothers came on around 8:30, they finished up at 10:30. Not once did I have to get up to visit the bathroom.

I am 59. Do you realize what an achievement that is?

I did not miss one second of that concert and thank God for that.

And I am more alert. I am not distracted by the old school light show or butterflies flying by or delusions of grandeur.

I am dedicated to debauchery.

But every time I see The Allman Brothers straight I feel like I am more in tune with the show.

I experienced it with religious rapture and woke this morning without a hangover.

I'm sure Gregg was proud of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment