Thursday, August 8, 2013

What's In A Name

Jonny Gomes.

Jonny Gomes is a great name, the perfect name for an athlete.

Jonny Gomes will never be Jonny, he will never be Gomes, he will always be Jonny Gomes. It rolls off the tongue.

Jonny has a twin brother on the Red Sox named Mike Napoli. If I had to guess I would say that Jonny Gomes is the evil twin. He just has that look about him. Kind of a cave man thing.

They strongly resemble each other and sport extremely similar beards. In fact, in deference to my diminished powers of perspective, it is probably only because of their beards that I call them twins.

But it makes me happy.

Napoli wears a shiny patina of sensitivity or self-awareness about him. His eyes suggest something deeper about the man, his physical movements transmit some sort of refinement.

Jonny Gomes exudes a neanderthal charisma. He looks like a guy who just is. Who wears his insides on his outsides. Crashing through this, smashing around that.

His eyes sparkle with hints of insanity.

He has an intimate relationship between his helmet and his head that makes you think he is trying to corral his evil tendencies within his brain. Or at least within his helmet.

I am not insulting the guy. I think it is cool. I bet he is a blast to be around. A few Sox players have identified him as the craziest in the clubhouse.

People like this are valuable because they are a refreshing offset to the playacting most of us do.

Of course there is an excellent chance I am totally misreading the guy.

That look in his eyes can mean a million things. It could mean he understands life better than I do; that he has the answer.

Who knows.

Only Jonny Gomes.

No comments:

Post a Comment