Thursday, April 26, 2012

BirdSanity

Birds are my ultimate ally in the quest for some semblance of sanity.
My mind wanders and tortures and questions and plots and plans and forgets and dominates and sabotages. It never shuts up, preventing me from experiencing brief moments of peace.
I am committed to walking on these very good days, to getting outside and breathing what passes for fresh air in 2012. Enjoying the scenery, feeling the wind, hearing the rush of the stream that runs parallel to my street, checking out horses, buffalo (?), squirrels, the rare and occasional deer. And listening to the birds.
For most of the walk, my mind wanders and I miss a lot. It blows me away that as I am worrying about avoiding The Mortgage Vampire's fangs, the sound of the birds gets blotted out. And all other beauty as well.
When I force myself to focus on the birds, the sound of my worries gets blotted out.
I prefer that scenario.
It's an exercise in mind control and a good one. I focused so intently this morning that smoke came streaming from my ears. I enjoyed 60% of the walk.
When I can get to the point where I become one with nature for the entire walk, then I will have achieved impressive control of what is left of my mind.
I am gambling that this will lead to sanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment