Friday, April 6, 2012

Pitbull, My Ass

Who the hell is this PitBull guy anyway? When I see him in that Bud Light commercial I want to buy him a dress. Da. Acting so over the top tough that he looks like a fool. It's a rap thing.I am not gonna rap rap because I like a lot of rap. Yeah you heard me, I am 58 years old and I like a lot of rap. Or hip hop or whatever the politically correct term is in 2012. I was schooled in rap when it was being born, by my sons.
Back then you could keep track of the players. Now there are 14.3 million hip hop artists in the world with 75 new names every day. Seems bizarre until I think back to my own musical childhood vis a vis my parents. In the beginning you had The Beatles and The Stones. A few years down the road there were an unlimited number of rock bands extending all the way out to The Strawberry Alarm Clock. So my parents probably felt as overwhelmed by rock as I do by rap.
The macho posturing thing in rap is rock posturing taken to the extreme. I think rock stars tried to act cool more than tough. Although The Stones and Guns 'N Roses might disagree with me. The rock dudes were all about being wild and different and super cool with an I don't give a damn what you think of me and my long hair and bell bottoms and drugs attitude. Until the eighties hair bands. I haven't got a clue what they were trying to tell me.
But rap dudes have taken the act to another level. Dre and Snoop Dog were (are?) pretty intimidating guys. Tupac. I think they were naturally cool, naturally tough. Today acting tough is part of the job description so you have to project it even if you would rather pick daisies. And the phonies look like morons. Walking around with this ridiculous scowl on their faces acting like every woman in the world has to have them. They try to look so tough that they look more like Pee Wee Herman trying to look tough.
Seeing Pitbull in a Bud Light commercial does not make me want to go out and buy Bud Light. Nothing in this world could make me want to go out and buy Bud Light. But seeing Pitbull does not make me want to be like Pitbull either. I wanted to be as cool as Tupac. I thought some of that attitude, that swagger, that F**k All Y'All attitude could do me good. But I knew I could never pull it off.
Pitbull doesn't know that. He thinks he's the 2012 version of Tupac.
Tupac could destroy him with one lyric, never mind a gun.
Pitbull is not Tupac any more than The Strawberry Alarm Clock were The Beatles.

No comments:

Post a Comment