Saturday, April 28, 2012

Who Needs Words? (How many times do I have to tell you?)

Just let Lakota in from the screened in porch. She stayed out there longer than I expected. It's cold and Lakota doesn't like the cold. In the dead of summer when it's 304 degrees, Lakota will saunter upstairs to our bedroom where it is 404 degrees and curl up on our bed. Maka refused to even go out this morning.
Anyway I was patting Lakota and telling her how surprised I was she stayed out there for half an hour and wasn't it cold and she was curling around my ankles and purring.
I felt the love between us and wondered if we humans talked less, maybe stopped talking at all, we would treat ourselves better. Lakota and I didn't need words to communicate, and the communication was powerful.
Of course the drawback to this observation is that I was talking. Lakota was probably thinking "If you would just shut the hell up, this moment could be even more intense, more honest." I am compelled to talk constantly to and at our cats.
Before I expect the human race to minimize verbal communication, perhaps I should learn to shut up first.

No comments:

Post a Comment