Sunday, April 15, 2012

Vouchsafe

Vouchsafe is one of my most favorite words. I don't use it. It is almost impossible to use it in the 21st century.
It is used a lot in the works of Shakespeare.
It means to give by way of reply; to grant as a privilege or special favor. As in: "He vouchsafed the secret to only a few chosen disciples."
I am re-reading Beautiful Losers by Leonard Cohen and he actually used the word in the novel. He wrote the book in 1966. A word of warning - do not run out and pick up this book. It would drive you crazy. It is one of those crazy word association, sometimes stream of consciousness, somewhat hallucinogenic books. I absolutely love it.
I give you permission to read the book if you have ever read William S. Burroughs, especially Naked Lunch, and survived it.
If not, Beautiful Losers, will blow the top of your head off.
There. I have vouchsafed my advice to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment