Monday, April 2, 2012

You Want My What?????????????????

Some employers are beginning to ask for your facebook password when you interview for a job. This country is really beginning to scare me. If they asked me for my facebook password I would ask them for their personal credit card numbers and any passwords associated with those. Then maybe I could buy that $3,500 hand tailored Italian silk suit I need to improve my batting average at liquor commission job interviews.
If they want to pry into my life I am absolutely going to pry into theirs. Quid pro quo.
Actually the more appropriate thing to do would be to ask for their corporate financial records over the last five years, audit reports and HR files so I could determine their financial stability or the lack thereof and their record of how they treat employees.
The theory is that they want to know everything they can about an employee before they hire them. If a job candidate has tendencies towards becoming an ax murderer, maybe it will be revealed in facebook posts.
If that's the way its going to be then it better be a two way street.
I realize that facebook is not private. It's just you and 489 of your "friends" sharing a little chit chat. But people are looser on facebook and in E-mails and on twitter and when texting precisely because they assume that big brother isn't watching. If employers start monitoring your facebook communiques you will start editing what you write. And one more piece of freedom will have been killed. One more backward step taken in this country.
Once employers introduce this question into the job interrogation process it is done. The line has been crossed and there is no turning back. Because if you refuse to give them the info, I guarantee you it will have a negative impact on your job prospects, maybe killing them immediately. They will tell you that you don't have to supply the password if you don't want to and it will have no impact on their decision. If you believe that then you must also believe that Santa never slept with your momma.
I was up at 7:00 yesterday watching TV. Yeah, up at 7:00 on a Sunday morning. I couldn't sleep because I had to work yesterday and working on Sundays SUCKS. It is unnatural and wrong. I think every customer who walks into a store on a Sunday should immediately apologize to the employees before they do anything. "I'm sorry I'm such an asshead that I can't get stuff done during the week necessitating your store be open on a Sunday requiring you to be here when you should be home relaxing and living one tiny piece of your life in dignity and peace."
I couldn't sleep because my mind was rebelling against what it knew it had to do, silently screaming how the hell has my life come to this? I agreed to work Sundays for a little more coin so I can afford to buy Carol that box of Dulce de Leche Cheerios she so covets. She has extravagant tastes.
I couldn't find any Tweety Bird cartoons so I settled on a business program on MSNBC. They were discussing this whole facebook password thingy. There was a host and two guys who own small businesses. The business owners saw absolutely nothing wrong with it. The host asked if it would negatively impact job prospects to say no and they both said absolutely not. She didn't believe them and kept hammering them on it and they finally said "it might enter into the decision process somewhat."
I rest my case.
Employers do not play fair and they never will. They are attacking us on two fronts. Digging into our "private" lives and penalizing us if we don't play by their rules.
I see this country moon walking right back into the 1950's. We are moving backwards past all the ghosts of all the injustices that we supposedly legislated into oblivion. And these ghosts are saying"Where the hell are you going? Did I suffer for nothing, die for nothing, fight and speak up and put everything on the line for nothing?"
And they are calling us cowards.

No comments:

Post a Comment