Monday, May 25, 2020

I Don't Hate Tom Brady

But I could.

I am angry with him. I held him to a higher standard. An impossible standard, really.

This shit has been going on for as long as I can remember. Montana, Namath, Rice, Favre etc.

All made their bones with one team and then bounced around a bit; finished their careers on other teams.

I fucking hate it. Because it is a constant reminder that football is a business.

I don't want football to be a business. It is my passion. I want it to be pure emotion, elevated above reality, existing in a holy place.

It is also a constant reminder that athletes are not good judges of when it's time to quit. Ego. Massive egos that take it too far and inject poison into legendary careers.

I hate that too. I want these guys on a pedestal. Part of the reason I worship them is because they are superhuman. I need success on that level to counterbalance the smallness of my own life.

Brady is a different animal. What he and THE PATS accomplished has never been done before in the NFL. Twenty years of greatness.

Brady is the constant. Everyone else has come and gone. Brady stuck around and made magic with whatever ingredients he was given to work with.

Brady leaving THE PATS is like Jesus leaving heaven to live eternally in hell.

Fucking inconceivable.

He is a man. He has his own life to live. I get that. Free to make his own choices. Except for his association with THE PATS. Those twenty years nullify free choice.

He was obligated to retire as a PATRIOT. Period. His association with that organization is sacred.

Maybe I'll give up on sports entirely. Take up origami. Sit in the dark crafting tiny figures, sipping whiskey and cursing Tom Brady.

No comments:

Post a Comment