Sunday, May 24, 2020

Perspecitve

NASCAR racing came back last week.

I couldn't be happier.

I have largely ignored racing over the last few years. Never watch an entire race anymore. If I do anything I keep an eye on it. Many times I don't watch the race at all. Guess I got tired of it.

Last Sunday there was a race - an actual live race - at Darlington. Shit, man - I watched that thing with new eyes. Dug it from start to finish. Enthusiastically. With great interest. And Kevin Harvick won! My man.

Live sports (Korean baseball doesn't count). Felt so fucking good.

At first I was amazed at how enthusiastic I was. 10 seconds in I realized this is yet another result of the upside down world we are living in. We are all hungry for distraction.

Three days later there was another race at Darlington. A night race. NASCAR is cramming their schedule in like a sausage maker crams mystery meat into sausage skin. I watched that motherfucker with great interest as well.

And today there is another race. At Charlotte. The Coca Cola 600. Traditional Memorial Day race.

I am so glad they are running it today because this does not feel like Memorial Day weekend to me.

First of all I am unemployed. Second we are not doing a fucking thing. Know what Carol and I are doing? Obliterating clutter from the house. I am working the upstairs room, she is working the downstairs room. Attacked that shit on Friday and yesterday. Multiple cathartic trips to the dump.

But that ain't a holiday weekend. Should be partying with friends and family. Not being responsible. I hate being responsible. But it does feel good to be finally doing something about our hoarding problem. People were starting to talk.

Anyway I am psyched for tonight's race. Love night racing. And man, this is the third race in eight days.

My point? I hope this feeling does not go away. As more good stuff comes back into our lives I hope I am enthusiastic about all of it. I hope I see everything differently on a permanent basis.

Because that will make life better.

No comments:

Post a Comment