Monday, March 15, 2021

2046

The magical, mystical parking spot.

I have found a few locatons in the concrete and steel sanctuary called a parking garage where I can get radio reception. Mostly facing out to the open sky. Most are sketchy, however.

A little thing affects them. Like an undigested bit of beef, a blot of mustard, a crumb of cheese, a fragment of an underdone potato. Wait, sorry - I lapsed into dialogue from "A Christmas Carol".

A little thing affects them. I was idling contentedly in one spot after lunch one day, luxuriating in U2, when a car pulled into the spot next to me - boom - no reception. Are you kidding me? And it wasn't a full size Hummer or anything like it - just your normal, everyday car.

Sometimes it's the weather that causes fluctuations. Sometimes it's just a goddamn mystery - I can sit in the same spot under the same weather conditions two days in a row and get beauty one day and nothing the next.

Except for spot #2046. 

This baby is 100% reliable. Which is bizarre because it is located in the belly of the beast. Apparently this spot has been blessed by Jesus for my own personal use.

On Thursday and Friday mornings I am virtually guaranteed to get the spot. No person in his right mind is up that goddamn early. But Wednesday afternoons, and Thursday and Friday after lunch (I take a ride at lunchtime to leech the poison out of my brain) are a crap shoot.

It makes my return after lunch a thrilling game. As I drive up the ramp on the lower level I look to my left and up to see if the spot is available. If it is, I pop the champagne cork. If not, I commit hari kari.

U2 has a song called "Miss Sarajevo", featuring Luciano Pavarotti. I love this song. The song itself is a bit melancholy. In fact the story behind it is heavy duty. Be that as it may, U2 make the song beautiful and emotional. Pavarotti makes it mind blowing.

Pavarotti comes in around 2 and 1/2 minutes into the song and sings for about a minute and a half.

If he doesn't give you goosebumps you are dead. Absolutely beautiful. Stunning.

In fact I urge you to go to YouTube right now and type in "U2 Miss Sarajevo". Listen to it. Seriously. It will make your day and leave you wanting to come back to it over and over again. To fill your soul with beauty.

The song came on Friday morning. I was almost two minutes into the song as I pulled into the garage. No reception. I gunned the gas a bit, looked to my left and up, and saw that it was champagne time.

Pulled into #2046, and a few seconds later Pavarotti made my morning.

Thank god for parking space #2046.

And thank god for Pavarotti.

No comments:

Post a Comment