Saturday, March 6, 2021

The Flame Has Been Lit

We have always been a two cat home.

Started with Lokai and Max. Morphed into Max and Lakota. Morphed into Lakota and Maka.

We put Lakota down in January 2020. Since then Maka has ruled the roost.

It has been cool - Maka is a special cat - loving, a little crazy, cute as hell. Tremendous company. Very comforting.

Frankly I have not been able to think about getting another cat - it really floored me when Lakota died. She was my sweetheart. I think Carol felt the same way. But lately Carol has been checking out the SPCA ads in the paper. Talking to me about what she has found.

I haven't been real receptive and I have not looked at any of the picures. I'm too soft - if I see irresistible cuteness the decision has been made.

We talked about it a little more last week and came to the decision that we will get a second cat in July - when we are both 100% retired and can be here to make sure they adjust peacefully.

Now I have guardrails. Time to adjust to the idea.

So I looked at a picture. Cute little black cat. Adorable face. The flame has been lit. I am ready to bring another cat into this home in July.

The black cat thing brought back memories. Back when we lived in Billerica I decided I wanted a black cat so I bought one at a pet store. The only time we ever got a pet from a pet store - we always adopt. I named him Lucifer.

He was an asshole.

He would hiss, scratch - never sit in my lap or anyone's lap. We just had to leave him alone. That sucked.

Our pets have to be loving. We won't even consider a cat unless the SPCA describes it as a lap cat that gets along with other cats. Dems da rules.

Lucifer was a massive failure. The only failure in our pet history.

The cat in last week's paper was adorable and matched our lovability requirements but we just aren't quite ready yet. But it's coming and I am kind of excited.

We are animal lovers and take great pride in rescuing cats from cages and giving them all the love and care and attention in the world. And they always love us back.

When July rolls around we will both be fully vaccinated, the world should be more recognizable, I am going to arrange a major Fuck Covid celebration for my family, we will be retired, and we will have a new cat to love.

This could very well be the best summer of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment