Sunday, March 7, 2021

Fucking New England

Carol and I went food shopping last Saturday.

It was a weird day weather-wise - it snowed, it rained. We left the house around 4:30.

The ride to the store was uneventful. The ride back was anything but.

It is a 1/2 hour trip one way - we live in the boonies. Most of the trip is on a long, easy going road that has long straight stretches, with some gentle curves to keep a driver alert.

I came around a curve to see cars spread across the road; a truck off my side of the road facing me.

Ice.

I started pumping the breaks, pro that I am. But I knew this was going to be a close call. The car in front of me was pumping his breaks too and we weren't accomplishing much.

My car was swerving a bit and skidding freely. I pumped, I pumped until I couldn't pump any more - I was getting too close to the car in front of me.

Cool character that I am, as I was doing this I was saying "Shit! Shit! Shit!"

I had to stamp on the breaks and, luckily, the wheels grabbed and the car finally stopped skidding.

I was about three feet away from the car in front of me - maybe closer.

My brand new car was three feet away from getting crunched.

This would not happen if I lived in Arizona.

No comments:

Post a Comment