Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Privileged Elite

I am a member of The Privileged Elite.

Because I work for the city of Concord I did not have to lift a finger to get vaccinated. The city called me and set me up. I did not have to wrestle with a cumbersome website, as the Great Unwashed are forced to do.

First vaccination - 2/15. Second vaccination - yesterday. Which makes me a member of another privileged and elite group: Fully Vaccinated People.

I walked out of that joint feeling lighter than air yesterday. Covid weighs heavily on your mind - omnipresent and depressing. When that weight is removed you have to step back and reassess who you are. You also have to smile.

A guy was walking out in front of me, and as he held the door I asked him "So, how do you feel now?" He responded enthusiastically "Great!!!!!!!". We both laughed, wished each other good health and went our separate ways.

It is the dawning of a new age. We have all been changed. There is no going back to normal. The word normal should be stricken from the language. Our perspectives have been altered by this thing that swept into our lives and wreaked havoc - life will be different, but it will be oh so fucking sweet.

New Hampshire is handling the vaccinations beautifully. Both of my experiences were quick, flawless and efficient. Except for one hiccup. After the first vaccination they scheduled the second one for March 7. A Sunday. I thought that was odd but I decided they must really be hammering this thing.

Wrong.

Carol came along for the ride, we pulled into the parking lot and walked up to a locked door. Nobody home. Other cars were pulling in as well and soon became bewildered as they tried the door too.

It took a few phone calls as we sat in the parking lot, but I finally got a hold of a guy, explained my situation - he explained that none of the vaccination sites are open on Sunday - and he immediately re-scheduled me for the very next day, which went off without a hitch. Super service.

Also, a State Trooper showed up and came around to all the cars to get our information (somebody obviously made the Troopers aware of the fuckup) - which he would then pass on to the vaccination gurus.

Not a big deal, a minor glitch, and since everything else went so smoothly - especially considering the large number of people who were at both of my appointments - I got no complaints.

Besides, Carol and I made the best of it - grabbed a pizza from Pizza Hut and motored on home to get older, slower and fatter.

I feel good. I feel awesome. I will feel perfect when Carol is done - her first shot is on 3/19. I tried to slide her into my second appointment but the dude I talked to said it couldn't be done.

The second half of 2021 should be spectacular. That means we all lost a year and 1/2 from our lives. That is precious time, baby - for anyone, but especially for us older folk. But we will make up for it.

Fun, love, family, friends, and enjoyment - that is my new mantra going forward.

And, now that I am a member of The Privileged Elite I will be greeted with red carpets, fanfare, and autograph hounds everywhere I go.

As Mac Davis wrote - "Oh, Lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way."

Hope I don't get a big head.

No comments:

Post a Comment