Saturday, March 27, 2021

Sometimes My Mornings Are Friday Night

The 5:30 am days are killer.

Period. I just don't handle them well. Physically or mentally.

But sometimes things click. Occasionally, by the time I hit the kitchen I am feeling OK (most days I am not). I have a nice visit with Maka for about 45 minutes as I waltz around the kitchen doing "getting ready to go to work" shit.

The songs on the ride in are the ones that I LOVE, traffic is smooth and I ride that wave all the way into Spot #2406. Where I sit for another 15 minutes  - and, when I am lucky, the songs continue to be perfect.

I am feeling so good; feeling like it is Friday night. 

I am a Friday night guy. Always have been, always will be. Used to love going out on Friday night and cutting loose - crushing inhibition and airing out insanity.

I am still that guy - my ass is at home on a barstool. But now I just don't have anywhere to go or anyone to go there with.

One of my favorite Allman Brothers songs is "Nobody Left To Run With Anymore." I consider it my personal anthem. Check out the lyrics - you will understand why.

On those perfect mornings, Friday Night Joe is resurrected from the dead. In spirit, anyway. It's not like I can waltz into work with a joint between my lips and a bottle of Crown in my hand. But I want to.

I re-experience the joyful anticipation of Friday night freedom; I feel that feeling for a few brief moments.

That can never be killed in me. Which is a sign that it will be rekindled.

I need it.

My friend Phil is on the same wavelength - we get together one or two nights a year for sheer fucking insanity. And thanks to Uber and hotel reservations we can pull it off safely.

And we have a goddamn blast.

We are already making plans. A fall trip to Nashville looms supreme. An outdoor concert in Boston in July with the Allman Betts Band featuring Gregg's son Devon and Dickie's son Duane.

Phil is popping up from Florida, temporarily, in early April for family reasons. He is fully vaccinated, I am fully vaccinated - we shall throw caution to the wind. We have already made plans to get together for dinner.

I know at the end of that night we'll be saying "Do you want one more drink?" We won't go crazy because we both have to drive, but that night will be an appetizer. It will portend great things to come.

Friday Night Joe is coming back around. Coming alive.

I have a ferocious need to have fun my way in 2021. Blues and booze, good food and unbridled laughter.

My family. My friends. I will enjoy their company. Treasure it.

I will enjoy my own company.

I like Friday Night Joe.

No comments:

Post a Comment