Saturday, March 6, 2021

Dead Man Walking

More proof that my mind is regaining flexibility.

As I drive to work on Thursday and Friday mornings I take the time to look around. We live in a naturally beautiful area. I look at the trees, the sky, the clouds, the country houses, the fields, an occasional animal - frequent turkeys. I drink it all in. 

Sometimes I even look at the road.

It's kind of a cool time because it's so early in the day. The lighting has a unique character to it. Makes everything more artistic.

Another reason for appreciating where we live, is the lack of people. One of Einstein's lesser known theories states: "Happiness is inversely proportional to population." But I digress.

Used to be I would hold the steering wheel in a death grip, occasionally shattering one. Swearing, trembling in anger, screaming like a lunatic. Laughing maniacally, smashing the back of my head into the headrest.

You know, just a typical commute to work.

Now I try to find some peace in the ride.

Let me put this in perspective for you. Me enjoying the ride to work is like a Dead Man Walking enjoying his final stroll.

As the condemned makes his way from his cell to the execution chamber, he takes in the paint scheme of the hallways, noticing how the shading offsets the color of his eyes beautifully. He thrills to the echo of his footsteps and admires the architecture of the building; the general ambiance soothes him.

He feels peace in his soul. Minutes later he is adjusting to the ambiance of Hell.

Just a typical Thursday and Friday for me.

I am doing the best that I can.



No comments:

Post a Comment