Wednesday, June 18, 2014

A Change Of Perspective

Up until exceptionally recently I have been thinking "Jesus Christ it's already June. MY good weather is being sacrificed to the capriciousness of MotherF***ing  Nature."

As of a few days now I have been thinking "Yeah, baby - it is 81 degrees and it is only June. Mother Nature is magnificent."

Driving to work this morning - temperature 69 degrees at 6:15 - brilliant early morning sun - my soul was relaxed. My body was singing.

It blows me away how my entire Joe-ness - every single thing about me - responds to warm weather.

I change.

Driving straight towards Hell and yet I was smiling, my body was lazy comfortable in The Big Ride, I was head swiveling towards the glory of the sun and I was listening to magnificent music. Looking at trees, birds, the lake, the road. Taking it all in like a child.

An overgrown, cynical, dark leaning manchild of a man.

Sunshine is truly different in the early morning. It gives things an angled glow, different than high noon. Things look hopeful in the early morning summer sun.

People with coffee mugs; dogs walking happily, proudly with their loved ones; commuters with arms hanging out driver side windows, people jogging, DUI victims riding cheap bikes wearing silly helmets.

It's a groove, man.

I'm drinking this all in. Burning it to the DVD of my 2014 Summer of Fun.

I have been able to live in the now - to brush bullshit aside - and to glory in the moment.

Memories and events keep piling up.

Last weekend - or was it the weekend before? - had Friday off. Spent it with Craig. Partially on the golf course.

It was great to spend time with my son in the place where he derives so much pleasure. I hit a few unashamedly. Not like me. I tend to hesitate, to be self conscious. He handed me the clubs, I swung away lustily. And enjoyed it. Gorgeous day. Perfect. Beer on the deck of the 19th hole. Shooting the shit casually. Beer at the Lab 'N Lager, Scotty behind the bar. Beer at Margarita's where Craig's magnificent girlfriend works. The ride home, windows down, smiling inside at my luck at being close to my son.

The very next night we went to a Fishercats game with Keith and Emily. Gorgeous, perfect night. Popped into the bar first to watch California Chrome not win the Belmont Stakes. Didn't matter. We were talking. Laughing. Easy. The Fishercats lost but Carol and I got to sit next to our eldest and his magnificent wife on a magical summer night. Share their company. Christ it was good.

TWO sons who I worship, who I can laugh with.

Does it get any better than that?

It was the weekend before, because last weekend Carol and I went out for breakfast. We don't do that often. Not nearly enough. We were straying into Concord to run errands. We turned it into a breakfast date. Just being with each other brunching our way to stomach and heart fulfilling peace.

That last sentence was corny as hell.

Summer is almost officially here. Heat slows things down, which is fine with me because I NEED this summer to last. Man it has been magnificent already.

And it is only June.

I'm driving straight to Hell this morning at 6:15 in 69 degree brilliant sunshine heat. Smiling. From my lips to my soul.

Yeah, summer works it's magic.

Yeah. early morning summer sun illuminates the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment