Saturday, June 28, 2014

About A Guy

I am enjoying a two day weekend.

A real, honest to goodness weekend. The kind most people used to have before the world went to shit.

The only reason I have this opportunity is because of the thoughtfulness of a guy I work with.

For the sake of anonymity I will call him Rich.

He came to me earlier in the week and asked me if I wanted to swap shifts with him. I had Friday and Sunday off. He had Saturday off. He wanted to know if I wanted to work Friday and he would work Saturday.

Stupidly I asked "What's the catch?" You have to understand, I have spent my entire time in this nightmare of a job just protecting myself. Until Rich came around. Protecting myself from morons, psychopaths and mental defectives. Protecting myself from people who lied to me, took advantage of me, manipulated me and did not give a damn how that affected me personally or my life.

As Springsteen sings "...........you end up like a dog that's been beat too much, 'till you spend half your life just covering up."

I asked "Why do you want to swap?"

He answered "So you can have two days off in a row."

Do you understand the significance of that? What a thoughtful, unselfish, considerate thing that is to do?

I kicked off the weekend last night in supreme fashion at Fisher Cats stadium, and the beauty is rolling over into today.

And tomorrow.

Because of the innate stupidity of retail, typically you get one day off at a time. Maybe a Sunday. Then a Wednesday.

That doesn't work. Not for a job that is razor blades in the gut. Not enough time to regain humanity.

Two days in a row is like a fucking vacation.

I am learning to appreciate the medicinal affect of time spent with family in 2014. I am appreciating it fiercely.

I am beginning to understand that there are good people in the world. People like Rich. People who have the capacity to care about other people.

Truth be told, they are in the minority. You know it is true even as you accuse me of pessimism and darkness of opinion. Most of us are crushed by life into positions of pettiness, selfishness, self defense, and cruelty.

Which makes it even better when a considerate human pops up into your life.

I am beginning to feel the power of love in 2014. I am beginning to feel the power of friendship in 2014. I am beginning to feel a bit of optimism.

My family has contributed to that. Rich has contributed to that.

Been a pretty good year so far.

Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment