Monday, June 9, 2014

P.J. O'Rourke

I got P.J. O'Rourke's autograph yesterday.

He's a pretty big deal. Google him; you will understand.

He is of national renown as a humorist, political commentator, writer and a lot more. He chooses to live in a tiny NH town to "get as far away as possible from the people I write about", in his own words.

He strolled into the liquor store months ago and I recognized him but was too reserved to confirm his identity when he came through my register.

Next time I said "You are P.J. O'Rourke", which he confirmed.

I told him I had just seen him on the Bill Maher show hawking his new book - "The Baby Boom - How It Got That Way And It Wasn't My Fault And I'll Never Do It Again."

I told him I was going to buy it and he told me to bring it in and he would autograph it.

I have held on to it for months since I last saw him. In the meantime I read another of his books called "Parliament Of Whores", which is his attempt to explain the workings of our government.

It was informative and hilarious.

He strolled in to the liquor store yesterday, I grabbed the book and he autographed it for me.

He asked how I wanted it inscribed. I told him "To Joe - Stop Underachieving." I said I needed inspiration. He laughed, signed it and we shot the shit for a couple of minutes. He was talking about how he was taking care of the kids for the weekend, his wife was not around, and that he too needed inspiration just to make it through the day.

We shook hands and he left.

He was down to earth and he made a little man feel big.

All in all, not a bad day.

No comments:

Post a Comment