Saturday, June 28, 2014

And The Hits Just Keep On Coming

Fisher Cats again last night.

This time it was my first born son, my little baby brother and me.

Duane Allman used to call Gregg "Bay Bro'." Short for baby brother. Even though Duane was only one year older than Gregg. I always thought that was a strange thing to do. Almost demeaning. Of course if I gave it any thought at all I would have realized it as affection because Duane was a loving, sensitive, family and friend oriented kind of guy.

I know. I used to hang with him.

I used to think of it as strange until I watched a recent documentary. Part of the documentary featured Duane. Gregg was interviewed and in an offhand way he mentioned Duane's nickname for him. It was obvious he remembered it with affection.

However I don't ever see myself calling my brother Bay Bro'.

But I digress.

I am digging the permutations of this thing called Keith's free tickets. Seats that make us feel like VIP's. The first visit was me, Carol, Keith and Emily. Last night a father, a brother and a son. Before summer dies there will be me, my Bay Bro', and both my sons. And Carol and me and........................

You get the point.

The setting is the same, the participants vary.

Baseball is perfect for this. You settle into your seats on a perfect summer night, the game begins and you dig it. Innocently enough, conversation happens.

Initially it's about the game. Eventually you cover about 37 different topics. The ease with which this happens is comforting.

You can't do this at a football game. Football is intense. Part of me doesn't even like Super Bowl parties because there are always distractions. You cannot afford to look away from football.

There were innings last night when I barely knew what the hell was going on. But I was talking with my son (my chest still bursts with pride and love when I write those words, even after 34 years) and my brother, who I respect and love so much it drains me to consider my luck at the close relationship we have.

The Fisher Cats' organization gets this. Very family oriented. Extremely kid oriented. They have a bat dog. How cool is that? A beautiful dog who strolls out to the field after at bats and retrieves the bat in his mouth.

Kids went on to the field just before the performance of the National Anthem and stood around all the players in their positions. Very cool. Imagine how they felt. Doesn't matter to them that these guys are AA. They are baseball players.

Speaking of the AA thing, what I see when I watch these guys is dreams. These guys' dreams are right there on the field for everyone to see. They are fighting for their dreams in front of an appreciative audience.

Most dreams are secretive. Most of us are afraid to talk about them. Self conscious and unconfident.

These guys say "Here I am. I am pursuing my dream right in front of you. Hope you dig it."

That is an amazing thing.

Great game. Supposed to go seven innings because a double header was scheduled but the game was tied in the bottom of the 7th. Bottom of the 8th still tied, Fisher Cats with a runner on first. Perfect hit and run is executed and the guy scores from first. Boom. Game over.

Perfect.

Driving home windows down on this beautiful summer night, the kind of night I live for, the kind of night that makes me feel alive all on its own......................................smiling.

The Good Weather Portion (severely limited) of 2014 is rolling along nicely.

Because I am making the effort. Instead of sitting around and whining about how summer is slipping away without us doing anything, I am feeling peaceful. Content.

All it takes is a little effort. I have failed (we still have not celebrated Mother's Day, Father's Day or Keith's birthday) and I have succeeded, as duly noted in these pages.

Tuesday is July 1. That day would typically panic me. Time is moving too fast and soon I will be shivering miserably in New England's merciless, heartless, 8 month fucking winter.

In 2014 I welcome July 1 with open arms. Because I have already had a ton of fun with my magical, mystical family. And I know that it will continue.

I am going to make it continue.

Anyway, last night was supreme. Rooftop to the basement, to borrow a line from U2.

More than anything else this year I have learned to appreciate the amazing people close to me in my life.

They fill me with true, honest, soul nurturing happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment