Monday, December 27, 2021

Merry Christmas, I Love You

I discovered a new Christmas song this year.

New to me; I guess it has been around awhile.

"Merry Christmas, I Love You" by Robert Finley.

Robert Finley is a blues dude, born in 1954. 

This song caught my attention because those five words together are so powerful.

Christmas is a magical, mystical thing.

Merry Christmas. 

Everything else is happy. Happy Thanksgiving. Happy New Year. Happy Birthday. Happy Anniversary. Happy Arbor Day.

You never use the word merry in any other context. Unless you are strange. So Merry Christmas carries some weight.

There is no more meaningful thing you can say to another human being than "I Love You."

You put Merry Christmas together with I Love You, and you really got something. Something powerful.

It's a simple song (the video is amusing) but the sentiment knocked me over.

It is important to express love and affection simply, powerfully, and directly. We need this as humans as badly as we need water.

These five words do it perfectly.

"Merry Christmas, I Love You".

No comments:

Post a Comment