Friday, December 31, 2021

Music 2021

My travels through the world of music have been deep and meaningful in 2021.

I dug deep - really deep -  into U2 at the beginning of the year as I negotiated a new world that included prostate cancer. I listened to them non-stop for months on end and they were soothing, inspirational, Gods of empathy, thought provoking - I sincerely believe that without them I would not have handled radiation and beyond, the way I did.

I leaned on them and they supported me. I will always have that relationship in mind as I continue to deal with prostate cancer. Edge, Larry, Bono, Adam - I love you guys.

I migrated to Little Steven's Underground Garage. Funkiest goddamn music on Sirius. 

The man's musical knowledge runs deep. He focuses on the music of the 50's and the 60's - paying deep homage to the artists and playing deep, deep tracks, while telling fascinating and entertaining stories. But he also introduces new acts who are in touch with the spirit of it all. And all the dj's on the station share the love and tell great stories and reveal meaningful facts about the music and artists they feature.

Months into my obsession I was rewarded with the release of Steven Van Zandt's autobiography: "Unrequited Infatuations". A spectacular book. Brutally honest.

I have not written down my impressions yet because I fear I cannot do it justice. Sometimes a book comes along that is so deep that I drown for a while before I can properly express my emotions.

Next I migrated to The Blues. My home base. Been doing a deep dive for months now and, of course, my heart and my soul and my mind are healthier for the effort.

On December 29 I switched to The Beatles channel. On the second to last day of the city job.

The Beatles channel is my happy channel. They always make me feel good. Always.

I staggered to my car at 6:30 yesterday morning (last day of torture), pumped up The Beatles channel and was rewarded with "What Is Life" by George Harrison.

Which leads me to an important point.......................

No comments:

Post a Comment