Saturday, December 4, 2021

Two Cats

I said repeatedly over the years that for me personally, I scaled the mountain of pet love to perfection with Maka and Lakota.

It started with Sundance, the neighborhood cat that used to greet my drunken ass at 3 am when I was a teenager living at home with the parents. He came out of the woodwork and we would sit together as I patted and loved him. I don't know where he lived or what his name was; I named him Sundance.

We had a cat in our first apartment; pets in our first home.

We moved here in 1986 and began a progression of pet love in this home that continues until this very day.

Maka and Lakota were the stars of the show for the last 18 years. The sweetest, most loving and gentle cats on planet earth. I had both of them in my lap almost every night; one of them in my lap every morning as I read.

Lakota died on January 31, 2020; Maka on September 11, 2021.

September 13, 2021 began a new era.

Emmy Lou and Patsy.

I did not think it possible for my love of a pet to transcend the power of the love I felt for Maka and Lakota. I was wrong. Which is a great lesson - to realize that there are no limits to happiness.

These two cats have stolen my heart and Carol's heart in an overwhelming way. They have been living here for 2 and 1/2 months and they own this house and they own us.

They are young and insane and fun; they are sisters who love each other and play and sleep together.

They are sweet and inquisitive and loving.

I just had to stop typing here for 5 minutes while Patsy laid down in my lap. She doesn't do that when I read, but when I sit in front of my laptop she is right up in my lap, and it is so precious to me.

They have their habits, we have ours. They sleep with us every night. Emmy Lou is a bit impatient in the morning; she climbs all over us. She touches her nose to my nose, which, of course, I love. Then we stare into each others eyes. Amazing shit.

This is love expressed and felt exponentially. The love they have for each other is obvious and tender and precious; they love us openly, we love them openly. All that love builds upon itself and reaches a level of intensity I would never have believed possible.

If you are not a pet lover you think I am a sap. I don't care. If you are not a pet lover I don't trust you and your opinion means nothing to me.

Human beings need love in its purest form in order to survive this nasty life. Human love is great but flawed. Pet love is the pinnacle of emotion.

Emmy Lou and Patsy fill our hearts and souls with love. 

There is no better state of being.

No comments:

Post a Comment