Sunday, July 27, 2014

July 27

Today is July 27 and I am not panicked.

July is over in 4 days. Of course I feel fear, any sane man would. As July ends, thoughts of winter creep in.

Visions of 10 months filled with cold cruelty, ice, snow, inconvenience, harshness, suffering, and shivering are not visions destined to sooth the mind. And yet this is the climate we live in.

July is ending and I am not panicked. I have slowed summer down.

I noticed this the other day as I slowly made my down to The Big Ride, preparing for the commute to The Asylum.

As I approached this magnificent vehicle I noticed a gentle breeze. A slight rustling of leaves.

This breeze was insubstantial. Hardly noticeable. And in summers past I would not have noticed it, consumed as I am with hatred of my job and disgust with my cold hearted, selfish boss.

But notice it I did. I stood for a moment taking it in. The way it felt, the sounds the leaves made, the beauty of the sky and the woods surrounding me.

In this way I have slowed summer down.

We have been active and I am happy with the things we have down. Still, there is a lot more to be accomplished.

I don't feel panicked. There is a sense of accomplishment in having spent meaningful time with my family. There is a soul deep appreciation for the slow magic of summer.

August is coming and I am prepared to greet it. Right off the bat.

On August 2 my amazing wife and I will be attending the Barnful of Blues Festival in New Boston. We will be sitting in the August sunshine listening to the blues.

Just the thought of it does my heart good.

I will have beers to sip, a dollop of whiskey or two and my amazing wife beside me in the natural warmth of summer.

Heaven.

The festival features the James Montgomery Blues Band. This is big stuff. He is the real deal.

Even better than that, my friend, Skip Philbrick is closing out the show. I went to the website and saw a picture of Skip. I am so proud to call him friend. Back in the day this man toured the country with Luther Guitar Jr. Johnson.

Luther Guitar Jr. Johnson once played in Muddy Waters' band.

That's all I gotta say.

So, yeah - July is about to die. No problem. Good things have happened. More good things are going to happen.

I have slowed summer down.

No comments:

Post a Comment