Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Old Guys Talking Baseball

Love to listen to old guys talk baseball.

Couple of older dudes who come into the store. One guy is a mad Red Sox fan. So much so that he couldn't wait to buy the cheap Red Sox wine. He read about it on line and drove me crazy asking me if we got it in yet every time he waltzed into the store. He was ecstatic when it arrived. And saddened when it sold out.

Always wears a Red Sox hat. We talk a lot. I like him.

The other guy probably doesn't watch sports. That's my impression anyhow. I think he's the kind of guy who talks sports because that is what guys talk about. He looks a little rougher around the edges. Like he's waging war on his liver.

Anyway.....................

Last week they were in the store at the same time. They don't know each other but Liver War heard Fanatic talking to me about The Sox so he joined in.

Fanatic was talking about trading the whole team and starting over. Lester, Peavey, Buchholz, Drew, Victorino, Gomes - these and more were on his list. He is ready to clean house.

I notice when Sox fans talk drastically, Big Papi's name never comes up. This pleases me. It reflects a bit of the old school player loyalty that I miss.

Liver War walks over and starts talking about how The Sox cannot drive in runs. He proceeds to stand at an imaginary plate with an imaginary bat on his shoulder to demonstrate how all the hitters do is take pitches and get called out.

His posture suggested to me that he has never held a bat in his hands in his life.

But it was cool. I enjoyed the conversation.

Got me thinking about me and my sons. I am somewhat knowledgeable about sports. My sons are encyclopedic. They know everything and everyone.

When we talk I feel comfortable up to a point. Then I have to shut up.

My opinions are not entirely fact based and my logic is flawed. My sons blow me away with what they know and, more than that, what they intuit. They take their knowledge and use it as a base to hold intelligent, subtly nuanced conversations that reveal an understanding of each sport that I just don't have.

To them, I am the old guy talking baseball.

I aim to change that this year. I have said that before but this is 2014. And as you know I am a man on a mission in 2014.

My plan is to know everything about THE PATS, football being THE passion of the sports world for me. Gonna read up and digest.

Also going to try to understand the game better. Learn things I do not currently know. Like how to anticipate how a nickel defense will react to a west coast offense.     ????????????????

I am already well on my way. I now know that THE PATS have this pretty boy QB named Tom Brady who has put up some stats and wears a lot of rings.

That is a solid base to work from.

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment