Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Under Pressure

I am putting a little pressure on myself this week.

Trying to be more disciplined. 2014 is slipping away. I am still 60 and still wearing a ridiculous purple shirt complete with offensive logo and childish name tag.

It has occurred to me from time to time that discipline is the key to everything.

This cuts against my grain. I prefer to be a free spirit, unshackled by rules and expectations.

Look how far that has gotten me.

Let's face it. You look at crazy ass rock people like, say, Keith Richards for example. As wild and free and insane as the man is.................do you have any idea how many hours the man has spent practicing his guitar? Learning it? Studying and learning music?

More than you and I have ever put into anything and ever will.

People stereotype him as a lunatic. The truth is he is a dedicated, focused, hard working professional.

You think Eric Clapton just picked up a guitar and started wailing? Carlos Santana? Jimmy Page?

I need more discipline.

I am working late through Thursday. This means I go in late. This means I have a chunk of each morning.

To achieve.

Instead of sleeping late I am up early. Doing stuff. Constructive stuff. Dragging off to work with some sense of accomplishment.

Trying to create a rhythm of success.

New approaches. That is what 2014 means to me. New approaches to arrive at different destinations.

To land in places where my eyes have a different perspective. A different perspective to stimulate my brain.

Discipline. I still hate the sound of it. Reminds me of To Do lists, which I also despise. And which my cold hearted boss believes in, of course.

But if I am going to evolve I need to do things differently.

Obviously, given the rock 'n roll references, it is possible to embrace discipline without losing your soul.

This is what I am shooting for.

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment