Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Retirement

I was browsing through the latest issue of Rolling Stone and came across articles on two guys familiar to me.

Eric Clapton. Paul McCartney.

I say browse because that is what I do. I don't read the magazine cover to cover anymore because there is a lot in there I don't care about.

I go to my go to guys and then check out the stuff that is more youth oriented. I really do check out the younger stuff. I'll read a paragraph or two to get a feel. If I get a Kardashians or Bieber vibe, I move on.

Comfort derives from being able to rely on those who have always inspired me.

Clapton is being interviewed and he is talking end of the road stuff. His friend JJ Cale recently died and it seems to have inspired reflection.  Cale wrote monster Clapton hits like "After Midnight" and "Cocaine." They recorded an album together years ago that was superb. Cale's songwriting talent was a huge inspiration for Clapton.

EC just released a tribute album: " The Breeze: An Appreciation of JJ Cale."

Anyway.......................during the interview Clapton mentioned that he might not do another Crossroads fund raising concert. Crossroads is  a drug addiction treatment center located in Antigua and founded by Eric Clapton.

These concerts are legendary featuring amazing performers and performances. Many CD's and DVD's document the magic.

Anyway Clapton said it's getting harder to put it all together. He then mentioned that he might do one more album, go out for a few shows and then call it quits.

The interviewer gently pointed out that Clapton told him the same thing in 2001.

The article on McCartney pointed out that he recently had to cancel 12 dates on his current world tour because of a virus he contracted in Tokyo.

The conversation naturally gravitated towards retirement.

McCartney said: "I want it all. I've got a great home life, and I've got a great life on the road - it's not like we're on a Greyhound bus anymore. People say to me, "Don't you get tired?" it's a three hour show, and I'm onstage every second. I keep thinking the laws of logic ought to apply and I ought to be really tired - but I'm invigorated. I enjoy it. So the answer to "Are you going to retire?" is "When I feel like it." But that's not today.

People who do what they love for a living never want to stop doing it.

As opposed to the rest of us slugs who crawl desperately towards retirement.

The key to life is to find something you love and make it the dominant force in your life.

Easier said than done.

No comments:

Post a Comment