Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Marriage Negates Physical Beauty

I am thinking about Tom Brady.

Here's how I think it went. He decided to retire. Gisele was ecstatic. Tom announced his retirement on February 1st. What else does he have to prove? He's got all the money in the world (some of which he should give to me so I can retire), he has achieved everything there is to achieve in the NFL, he is the undisputed heavyweight champ of professional football - the man is a fucking God. 

40 days later he reversed his decision. Forty days. That's all it took. Forty days of hanging around the house for him to realize - Holy shit - this will be my life? Hanging with Gisele? She's great to look at, not so much fun to be around 24/7.

I am theorizing here, so give me some room. I have never hung with them as a couple. Their loss. So I have zero perspective here. But, I don't know, I see their relationship as more of a business partnership than everlasting love. Pretty people living a pretty life.

If they are still together in 20 years I will apologize (if I'm still alive).

This could never happen to me. Because I married a woman who is pretty on the outside and pretty on the inside.

We were a pretty couple. Trust me, we were damn good looking. I say "were" only because we have aged. Age ravishes beauty, although we have withstood it pretty well.

Carol is self-conscious of her appearance after brain surgery. I know it bothers her. It doesn't bother me. She is still beautiful to me. I don't say that in some phony fucking way. I mean it.

Because she is such an extraordinary person that her inner strength, her positivity, and her optimism shine though like a halo around an angel's head.

I figured it out over the last 5 years. When I look at her, when I listen to her, I see the whole person - I see what's inside reflected on the outside. You truly know a person when you get to that point.

From a selfish perspective, she has never given up on me. Every birthday for a very long time she would write - "This will be your year." Based on zero facts. I gave her nothing to work with. But she encouraged me and believed in me anyway. To the point that I felt guilty as failed year followed failed year.

Still, she persisted.

Although, recently she writes "Give it up, Blimpo - you got nuthin'". Kidding.

I know what I have. I know what we have. I know that when I retire, our relationship will get even deeper, more powerful, more satisfying, more peaceful. I cannot wait. 

Of course, waiting is not the point. Time cannot be wasted in wishes and expectations. What we have, we have now. Trust me, she has been an inspiration to me in 2022 as I struggle. Making me smile, making me feel loved.

As she has in the previous 43 years.

I'm thinking we should get together with Tom and Gisele. Maybe we could teach them something. Give them the tools they need to build an everlasting relationship.

Maybe Tom will give me $250,000.

No comments:

Post a Comment