Friday, July 15, 2022

Today - Part 2 - HALLELUJAH

Dave Grohl is fucking amazing.

I have felt this way for a long time. He scratched and clawed his way to rock 'n roll success (and excess). Reached the top of the mountain. Until the rug was pulled out from under him.

Started out playing drums in a band called Scream. Ended up playing drums for Nirvana, as they were beginning work on their spectacular album Nevermind. When it was released in 1990, Nirvana became the biggest band on the planet.

Until Kurt Cobain died.

Once again Grohl was lost (he had no idea what to do after Scream broke up), but at least he had money. What did he do? Foo Fighters. Fucking Foo Fighters, man. And once again he was sitting on top of the world.

You have to respect a man like that. You don't continue to succeed like that without enormous talent, huge grit and a little bit of luck.

I have grown to love Dave Grohl because I am reading his words. I am getting a feel for how he thinks, what he feels, what his approach to life is. If I made my living in the world of music I would write about it exactly as Dave Grohl does.  He fucking gets it.

I read about an event this morning that blew my mind and perfectly captures Dave Grohl's essence.

In 2015 Grohl was presenting an award at the Grammys. Coincidentally, AC/DC would be playing at the awards ceremony. AC/DC, a band that Grohl had worshipped all his life and never met before, except for Brian Johnson. Somehow, Dave's wife had connected with AC/DC and arranged for them all to have dinner after the show. Dave reserved a room in a fine restaurant. 

Paul McCartney was in town so Dave invited him to dinner as well. Why not? McCartney once played Lady Madonna on Dave's piano in Dave's home with Dave's young daughter sitting next to Paul as Paul taught her a little of how to play. Just a run of the mill buddy.

Dave got a random call from Ben Jaffe, a member of New Orleans legendary Preservation Hall Jazz Band. If you don't know who they are I'm not going to waste my breath. Turns out they were in town too and were looking for something to do.

So.............he and Dave cooked up this scheme to have the band come marching down the street, right into the restaurant and into the reserved back room, playing their magnificent New Orleans jazz the whole time. Unbeknownst to the other guests. But approved by the restaurant. 

AC/DC, Dave and his wife Jordyn, a couple members of the Foo Fighters, and Paul McCartney were assembled in the room enjoying themselves. They heard music. What the hell was that? When the Preservation Hall Jazz Band marched into the room everybody went crazy, laughing and dancing.

Here is Dave Grohl's take on it. "Not a day goes by where I don't stop and thank the universe for these otherwordly blessings and I make it a point to take nothing for granted."

"Because I still walk through this life like a little boy in a museum surrounded by the exhibits I've spent  a lifetime studying, and when I finally come face to face with something or someone that has inspired me along the way, I am thankful. I am grateful.

At night's end "I was exhausted - not physically, but my soul had just run a triathalon of emotion, nostalgia, and undying love of music."

"It's hard to put into words the belief that I have in music. To me, it is god. A divine mystery in whose power I will forever hold an unconditional trust. And it is moments like these that cement my faith."

Here's the connection. I woke up euphoric. I read the worshipful words of Dave Grohl as he talked about his relationship with music. Music, which is my religion as well. His words connected with me, were perfectly in sync with my heart and soul. I was vibrating at the frequency of Grohl, which amplified my own vibration exponentially.

His soul-deep love for the way he makes a living is obvious and honest, and the deep respect he feels for the people he gets to meet along the way, the people who inspired him, and fired up his love of music, is religion. And he gets to thank his inspirations eye to eye. Fucking amazing.

All of this emotion, mine, and the emotion expressed by Dave Grohl, it all mixed together to take me beyond euphoria. To a place I don't have a word for. I have no idea where it is leading me or what it will do for me.

But I love the way it feels.

No comments:

Post a Comment