Thursday, July 14, 2022

Where You Are, Where You Want To Be

I gobbled up Wimbledon.

Two weeks of tennis bliss. Did you see the Gentlemen's Final? Djokovic versus Kyrgios? I watched it buzzer to buzzer. Fucking fantastic.

Djokovic won 4-6, 6-3, 6-4, 7-6. The score would lead you to believe the match was boring. Wrong. The fucking tennis was spectacular. These two literally slugged it out.

I didn't get the final I wanted - Nadal vs Djokovic - because Nadal was forced to withdraw from the competition with an abdominal muscle injury. On the day before he was scheduled to play in the semifinals. Against Kyrgios. So Kyrgios got a free pass to the final.

Kyrgios held his own as a tennis player but failed as a man. What a fucking baby. Whining and complaining non-stop to his "box", which included his father, his girlfriend, his sister, his coach. He kept yelling at them that they weren't cheering hard enough for him. He pissed me off.

I am officially a tennis junkie. I watch it almost every day. There is always live tennis on the Tennis Channel because they broadcast matches from around the world.

Part of the reason I watch it so much is that Good Morning Football is still fucking around. Ranking lists of this and lists of that, not really covering football. I realize it is early but, honestly, at this time of year they are in full swing leading up to the pre-season. Part of the problem is that Kay Adams has left and they haven't replaced her. She was spectacular.

So, I watched the Wimbledon Gentlemen's Final on Sunday and tuned in the Tennis Channel on Monday. Holy shit. On Monday they were broadcasting matches from Switzerland, Sweden and Hungary.

Hungary really got to me. Very small spectator stands. And there could not have been more than 30 people in the stands. I am not exaggerating. That's when it hit me.

Where you are, and where you want to be.

Wimbledon was glorious. Spectacular. Huge. Monumental. Hungary was small, unnoticed, bare bones. Sweden and Switzerland were not much better.

This is what you do if you want to be a professional tennis player. You work your way up. Alone on quiet courts in front of only family and friends. You fight long and hard to develop your skill and your strategy and your knowledge. Hoping to advance from obscurity to fame.

Let me tell you something. The tennis at these levels is still damn good. I am not sacrificing anything at all when I watch. I enjoy it.

People like this exemplify how life should work. You start out with nothing and, hopefully, end up with everything.

Unfortunately, most of us are too fucking lazy.

2 comments:

  1. You know I never thought of you as tennis guy...more like curling

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am obsessed with curling. Eat, sleep and drink it. So exciting!

      Delete