Thursday, July 21, 2022

WWDGD

I should live my life in accordance with the wisdom of that question.

WWDGD - What Would Dave Grohl Do?

Dave Grohl is a magnificent human being. I was deeply moved by his autobiography - The Storyteller: Tales of Life and Music.

I have read 2 million biographies and 1 million autobiographies. All interesting, some better than others, some much better than others.

Neil Young, Paul Simon, Jackie Gleason, Springsteen, Dean Martin, Steven Van Zandt, Eric Idle, Katharine Hepburn and..............all excellent.

Dave Grohl is now top five. This man is so full of passion, he works so hard at what he does, he loves his band, his career, the music, his family - he is grateful for all that he has. He is open and honest about it all. He is happy, upbeat, fun and generous.

And he (and his band) fucking rock.

I got a taste of this when he put together an 8 episode series called Sonic Highways. He and the Foo Fighters travelled to Chicago, Washington D.C., Nashville, Austin, Los Angeles, New Orleans, Seattle, and New York City. I think they spent a week in each city - talking to notable music people in each city, visiting meaningful music venues and landmarks, absorbing the culture and atmosphere, and then writing an original song about the experience, to be performed in a hallowed musical location.

I learned and felt so much.

What got to me was Grohl's obvious love and reverance for the history of the music that was made in these cities. It was religion to him and he was not afraid to show respect to the legendary people he interviewed. That was the first time I thought "Wow, this guy is a unique and spectacular individual."

His autobiography deepened my understanding of who this man is and resulted in exponential growth of my respect for him. I would love to meet him. Have a beer. Shoot the shit. Maybe learn something about how to approach life. Because he's got it figured out.

He never gave up. From Scream to Nirvana to Foo Fighters, he kept moving forward and up. A few times with periods of insecurity sandwiched in-between, when he had the rug pulled out from under him and had no idea what to do next. But his grit and his love of music kept him going.

He put himself out there in uncomfortable situations to learn and to grow. People got to know him and resepct him and one good thing led to another.

When he got big he figured out how to balance the family thing with the rock 'n roll thing, which is a very hard thing to do. He has a good time on the road, drinking and partying - he is honest about that, which I like - but family time is family time and is sacred to him.

His book is filled with love and reverance and gratefulness. Shit, man - even the acknowledgements at the end of the book are written differently than most. They are filled with....................love and reverance and gratefulness.

Dave Grohl has contributed a lot to this world. And to the world of music. I love and respect him.

Honestly, I could learn a lot from the way Dave Grohl lives his life. I did learn a lot - the question is whether or not I can apply those lessons to my own life.

I am prying open the lid once again - becoming more receptive to change - anything is possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment