Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The Allman Brothers Band

The Allman Brothers Band is playing at the Orpheum Theatre in Boston tonight, tomorrow night, Friday night and Saturday night.
I will not be there. I am on the FUP list. Financially Unable to Perform.
This breaks my heart. Once again poverty cripples my happiness.
Saw Gregg solo in January, saw ABB at The Beacon Theatre in NYC in March. Both concerts were exquisite. They did not tour this summer which is extremely rare. I see them every summer. Twice.
My heart and my soul will be with them on those four nights. I can close my eyes and picture them on stage, I can listen to their music in my mind. I can dream about a day when something as simple as a fucking concert is not outside my financial reach.
You ask me - Joe - Beatles, Stones or ABB - if you could attend only one concert who would it be? The Allman Brothers Band. The Beatles and The Stones mean everything to me. They defined my life (in my mind). They freed me (in my mind). ABB came along a little later - 1969 was the year of their first album and my epiphany.
My choice may surprise you. It is a visceral thing. I cannot put into words what ABB does to me. I can only tell you they speak directly to my soul, my heart, my essence, my spirit - it is something I feel when I listen to their music and it is a direct connection to the vibration of my life, my existence. It goes that deep. It is that natural. It is that mystical, magical and surreal.
So you can understand my disappointment at not being able to attend.
See you next summer, boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment