Sunday, November 13, 2011

Words For Breakfast

Yeah, you know I worship words and take note of well written and/or interesting quotes. Here's one from The Fiery Trail spoken "by a fugitive slave quoting a Negro field hand on a Tennessee plantation" - "I DON'T TRUST THE LIVING AND I WALK CAREFULLY AMONG THE DEAD." That pretty much says it all, baby.

Here's a strictly commercial blurb that I love. Jim Beam has created a bourbon called Devil's Cut. Here's the angle: "As bourbon ages, a portion of the liquid is lost from the barrel due to evaporation - that's the Angel's Share. After aging, when the bourbon is dumped out of the barrel, a certain amount of whiskey is left trapped within the wood of every barrel. We call that The Devil's Cut."
They go on to explain how they extract that bourbon from the barrel and blend it with six year old bourbon to create Devil's Cut.
The explanation is not necessary. They had me with that Angels' Share/Devil's Cut business. This is a bourbon I absolutely have to try, and all because of words.
Please join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment