Monday, November 21, 2011

What A Ride

Riding home from Maine last night, Carol pops in a home made CD into the Peace Mobile CD machine. Four songs in a row blew the top of my head off. Now, mind you, there was alcohol in my veins. We were heading home after an enjoyable day spent at Sarge's Tailgate Grille in Saco, ME. THE GREATEST RESTAURANT AND BAR ON THE EASTERN SEABOARD. GO THERE.
Anyway, I was feeling fine and the lyrics dripped directly into my blood stream. You may think me an overly dramatic idiot. That is your prerogative.

Maggie May - "I suppose I could collect my books and get on back to school. Or steal my daddy's cue and make a living out of playing pool. Or find myself a rock 'n roll band that needs a helping hand." I like the idea of having free and easy choices. Two out of three are kind of out there. I'd love to be in the position to sit back and mull over a variety of strange things I could do with my life.

Bridge Over Troubled Waters - The most amazing "I care about you and I will help you" song ever recorded. Majestic, powerful, emotional. Art Garfunkel is mind blowing. I truly believe he will help me when I'm down. I FEEL it.

Slip Sliding Away - "And I know a father who had a son. He longed to tell him all the reasons for the things he'd done. He came a long way just to explain. he kissed his boy as he lay sleeping, then he turned around and he headed home again." AND: "God only knows, God makes his plan. The information's unavailable to the mortal man. We're workin' our jobs, collect our pay. Believe we're gliding down the highway when in fact we're slip sliding away." BAM a blast of reality right in the face. And right after the magical beauty of Bridge Over Troubled Waters. An emotional roller coaster. Paul Simon, baby. He tells it like it is. We hurt each other and cannot explain ourselves. When we try, we realize there are no words. We fool ourselves into thinking we're doing something with our lives, but we miss the soul deep magic and mystery that is the precious gift of life.

Air That I Breathe - back to pure emotion, baby. The Hollies. "Sometimes all I need is the air that I breathe and to love you." This is what all of us long for. Said so simply which makes it so powerful. Sung beautifully and emotionally. We all want to love and be loved, to lose ourselves in the warmth and meaning and feeling of that, to have that and nothing else. Even if only for a moment. If you have that kind of love you can stop during the day, close your eyes and go there in your heart. And the hell with your job or any other human being. Pure medicine.

That ride last night was an emotional roller coaster fueled by music.
The amazing thing is that I was awake at all. 99% of the time the return trip from Maine is made with me snoring and Carol listening to Ray LaMontagne. Carol will be stunned to learn that I even remember listening to this majestic music. I have commissioned a team of NASA scientists to study just what combination of factors helped me to beat the odds last night.
Ciao, baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment