Sunday, November 6, 2011

My Love and Respect for the Medical Community and Especially, Insurance Companies

My son is having back problems. He is 31. Too young to be having back problems. He visited the general practitioner and was scheduled for an MRI. He had the MRI and waited something like four or five or six or seven days to get the goddamn results. Whoever was responsible for reading the MRI just didn't get around to it. This is so unacceptable it borders on malpractice.
I'm sure he had to get a referral to even get the MRI so he lost time there, then an incompetent asshead can't be bothered to read the MRI because he or she was too busy worrying about Kim Kardashian's mental state concerning her divorce.
Once the MRI was finally reviewed it was decided that my son should talk to a surgeon. More referrals, more delays. He still doesn't have an appointment with The Almighty Surgeon. The surgeon is obviously too fucking busy researching next years technological advances in golf clubs.
The whole process has taken a couple of weeks. Maybe more. At my age all time lapses seem like decades.
We are talking about my son's health here. I am entitled to be worried, I am entitled to be pissed off. If his last name was Trump, I guarantee you he would have seen the GP on Monday, had the MRI on Tuesday, gotten the results on Wednesday and talked to The Almighty Surgeon on Thursday.
This is why I despise the medical community. First of all, if you have money you get preferential treatment because you have the Cadillac of insurance policies. And even if the insurance won't cover enough to make the hospital or surgeon smile, they know you are good for the excess.
Worse than that, the insurance company is not making a decision based on the best interests of your health and well being, they are making decisions based on your level of coverage.
It is disgusting to me that your health takes a back seat to financial concerns. This is the most immoral and corrupt aspect of our society. Any doctor or insurance executive who can be proven to have held up medical treatment while evaluating financial considerations should be executed. Tortured first and then executed. And their family should be denied any and all life insurance proceeds.
We call ourselves a civilized society. We are not. A civilized society is based on compassion and cares about its people.
We are a greed driven, cold hearted, selfish and cruel society.
Keith will get through the red tape, get whatever treatment he decides is best and move on with his life.
Keith is a writer. I hope he gets the chance some day to expose some asshead doctor or some immoral insurance executive for the scum that they are. I hope they lose their job and their fortune as a result. I hope they apply for a job as a journalist gopher at Keith's paper. I hope they come begging into Keith's office for the final interview, sobbing uncontrollably because they have no money and no place to live.
And I hope I'm around to hear Keith say "Sorry, you do not qualify."

No comments:

Post a Comment