Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The Stones

The Stones are gearing up to celebrate their 50th anniversary. FIFTIETH. Getting serious about going out on tour next year. They haven't toured since 2007. I already warned Carol that we will see them even if it means taking out a second and a third mortgage on the house I live in which the bank owns.
I'm always amused when people say they own a house. You don't own the damn thing until you make that last payment. Until then the Mortgage Vampire owns you.
We have seen The Stones twice but they were tiny specks. Foxboro Stadium. Steel Wheels. Voodoo Lounge. Rocked my brains out but spent more time watching the video screen than the stage.
I blew it in '02 - The Forty Licks Tour -  because they did an arena/stadium/club tour. They actually played the Orpheum Theatre in Boston. That was the place to be, but I had to spend money on food and clothing instead. I regret that deeply.
I think Keith is pressing for something like that as part of this tour, but Mick ain't into it. I doubt it will happen.
However, with the money collected from a second and third mortgage I CAN get front row seats. This is what I want.
People mock The Stones and I hate them for it. Too old to tour. Too old to play rock 'n roll. BULLSHIT. Old blues dudes, the masters, played concerts into their nineties. Still do. Look at B.B. (86), Buddy Guy (who absolutely ROCKS for a 75 year old), Luther Guitar Jr. Johnson (72).
The Stones are musicians and damn good ones. The only one who might slow down is Mick and I personally think he still struts his stuff pretty damn good.
The Stones celebrating fifty years is like me celebrating my life. That's when I was really born, when The Beatles and The Stones blew up the world. I would give anything, anything you ask, to have John and George still alive and The Beatles touring every few years. I never got to see them in concert. It is one of many reasons that I am warped and dysfunctional.
The Stones are the keepers of the flame. They still rock, they do it with class and style, they are respected within the world of music. They are not an oldies act or nostalgia on display; they are still at the top of their game. Keith would never allow them to embarrass themselves. He understands and respects the music, their legacy and their place within music history.
I will have that front row seat. I expect Keith to outlive me but it is a risky bet. I would rather be out there next year, just in case, recharging and electrifying my soul close up with the music that changed my life and privileged me with a glimpse, a feel for what my life could be. I haven't lived up to that promise yet but I ain't done, baby.
If I have to eat cat food four days a week and only water the other three for the next ten years following the concert, it will be worth it.
Are you with me babe?

No comments:

Post a Comment