Sunday, November 13, 2011

The Fiery Trail

Certain books when you read them demand your full attention. Just started The Fiery Trail by Carl Sandburg. Written in 1948. The back drop is slavery and the Civil War. It is so well written that your mind cannot wander for one second. Each sentence is a delicious meal for your brain.
 I have read 10.3 million books. Sometimes my mind wanders. My eyes are seeing the words, my brain is wondering "When will I die? How will I die? Will I ever have Money? Will work suck today? Do I have enough whiskey to get through Sunday?" And I still manage to make it through the book.
My favorite books are the ones that do not allow this. If my mind wanders, I get to the end of the sentence and my brain says "Whoa, baby - what did I just read?" I go back and re-read it and blammo I am fulfilled. Thankfully my brain seems able to take note when I am reading high quality writing and refuses to allow me to miss it. I love this type of experience because I have to concentrate while reading and I get so much more out of it. These types of books seep into my bloodstream, battle their way through the whiskey and find a home in my soul.
I live for books like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment