Thursday, May 31, 2012

Another One From: Wanted - The Outlaws

The song:

My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys

The lines that I worship:

"My heroes have always been cowboys.
And they still are, it seems.
Sadly in search of, but one step in back of,
themselves and their slow movin' dreams."

They ain't just talking about cowboys, baby; it's all of us. We are all one step behind who we are and we are all chasing our dreams. Clumsily.
Slow movin' dreams. I guess if you even have dreams, and you are chasing them piece by piece, bit by bit, because you don't have the time, because you have a job or jobs or you don't have a job and you are desperately seeking a job, well then it is a slow movin' process.
Most of us don't really know who we are; we think we do but we don't. So we are always one step in back of ourselves.
I thought the song was written by Willie Nelson or Waylon Jennings. I was wrong. It was written by Sharon Vaughn. I don't know who Sharon Vaughn is but I love her. These are sensitive lyrics.
You cannot go wrong looking to poetry or song lyrics for inspiration or understanding. The people who write this stuff are students of human nature and they understand you because certain emotions or thoughts or questions or misunderstandings or painful confusions are universal. They don't have to know you personally to know you.
This is why I love all music all poetry all literature all theatre.
We are all connected even though we fight to dispute this. Expressing individuality is not mutually exclusive from being human.

No comments:

Post a Comment