Sunday, May 6, 2012

Loveable Losers And No Account Boozers

Everything old is new again. Zounds, there is something cool about digging something up from the past, something you dug exquisitely but forgot about, and re-experiencing it from a new angle.
Or something like that.
I have two boxes of CD's. One is the "to be copied onto the iPod" box, one is the "already copied onto the iPod"box.
Unfortunately because I am generally slow moving and largely unaware, there has been some crossover, some mix up in the filing system. But nothing I can't handle.
Anyway, on weekends my gracious wife allows me to pilot the PeaceMobile to work. Mainly to save money on gas. But the benefit to me is the CD player. I need to be in complete control of what I listen to. Hence my deep love of the iPod and intense hatred of the radio.
To make it fun, before I leave I dip my hand into the "to be copied onto the iPod" box and pull out two random CD's and run with it.
I admit I am easily amused.
One of the gems yesterday was:  Wanted - The Outlaws. Issued in 1996, it is a collection of beauties from Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Jesse Colter and Tompall Glaser.
Isn't Tompall the greatest country name ever? It isn't just a taste of country, it is the very heart of country. Like Mom and Dad were sitting around swigging moonshine trying to decide on a name but couldn't. And then "Well why don't we name him both, Maw?"
Brilliant.
There are songs on this album I HAVE to belt out. And I did last night. Motoring that Bug backroads home and singing my goddamn heart out.

Honky Tonk Heroes (Like Me). Waylon. LOVE this song. The beauty of listening to these guys sing these songs is knowing that they have lived these songs. Genuine.
But you can identify with them too. Unless you are a goddamn nun.

"Piano rolled blues, danced holes in my shoes, there weren't another other way to be
For loveable losers and no account boozers and honky tonk heroes like me"

I am the blues, I have danced holes in my shoes, I have been a loveable loser and a no account boozer.
Ain't never been no honky tonk hero. But I have sung a lot of drunken karaoke.
Man it just drums up visions in my head of cutting lose in a dive bar. Partying with people who you like and even those that you don't. Doesn't matter. All that matters is the good time, the release, the insanity, the fleeting feeling of flying, a hint of immortality.
I have been there many times and loved them all. Those lyrics take me back there and celebrate a chunk of me.

Good Hearted Woman. Waylon again. He wrote this about me and Carol. I was drinking whiskey with him one morning, talking about marriage and he said "Joe you got an interesting dynamic there. I'm gonna write a song about it."
Well maybe it didn't quite happen that way. But it could have.

"She's a good hearted woman in love with a good timin' man
She loves him in spite of his ways she don't understand
With teardrops and laughter they pass through this world hand in hand
A good hearted woman lovin' a good timin' man"

Good lord Waylon, you nailed it. I do like to party. Love to cut loose and air out my insanity. Cain't hardly hep it. Carol stands back and lets it be, shaking her head, even after all these years, thinking "How the hell did I get hooked up with this madman?"

"He likes the bright lights and night life and good time friends
And when the party's all over she'll welcome him back home again
Lord knows she don't understand him but she does the best that she can
This good hearted woman lovin' a good timin' man"

You'll never see Carol standing on top of a table singing, as I have done in a bar I recently worked in. You'll never hear Carol walking around saying "I am Jesus Christ", as I have done in a bar I recently worked in.
She don't understand it and she definitely don't understand the whiskey. But she knows it's me, so she doesn't sew me into a bedsheet and beat me with a broom. (Happened to Willie Nelson. True story.)
I haven't listened to that CD in 317 years. Last night that CD was me and I was that CD. It was new again and it made me feel superb.
Cruising down the road singing loudly and with conviction.
Man, I felt good last night.

(Editor's note: Can you guess which CD will be copied into my iPod machine today?)

No comments:

Post a Comment