Thursday, May 31, 2012

Had Another Bird Moment

Got to work this morning exactly seven minutes before I am allowed to enter the store. The New Hampshire State Liquor Commission has very exacting rules about what you can do and what you cannot do. They are driven by fear so they try to control every single facet of their operation. It is ludicrous.
I was considerate enough to get up at 6:00 a.m. to go in and open up the f***in' store but I dared not enter before 8:00 A.M. because the security company would call and a black mark would become a permanent entry on my employment record.
Morons.
No matter.
I sat and listened to the birds. They were in full throat and positively mesmerizing me with a symphony. A very beautiful symphony.
It occurred to me that these birds were sitting in trees that sit in between a trailer park and a soul-less parking lot that services a Lowe's, the liquor store, Market Basket and various other spirit killing enterprises.
And they were singing their hearts out.
These birds should be in verdant pastures, liquid forests, purely natural habitats. Instead they overlook a f***ing parking lot. Perhaps they are more interested in real estate values. Still they sounded so goddamn happy, so goddamn free.
It occurred to me that if they can do it, I can do it. This is in keeping with my recent epiphany. I am not happy with my life but I have walked through a door of change and I like the view.
Why not dig what I can and change the rest at whatever pace it takes. Muscle my way forward but accept that it might go slower than I desire, and have the presence of mind to breathe, to feel, to smile, to celebrate the fact that I am alive and respect the fact that I ain't dead.
To sing. In my own way, in my own key, in a way that makes my soul happy.
You can learn a hell of a lot more from nature than you can from any human.
Dig it, baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment