Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Strangely Enough

Strangely enough, I turned on my radio on the ride home from work yesterday. I never do that because radio sucks; just ask Ray LaMontagne.
There are 150 million good songs from the "classic rock" era (my formative years), but classic rock radio only plays fifty of them. Over and over and over again. I despise them for this.
But yesterday I needed loud rock to blast my skull. And I had it cranked.
The radio and sound system in my truck are light years away from Bose. But one thing I pride myself on is my ability to adjust the sound controls to maximize enjoyment. I have a good ear.
I adjust bass and treble, right and left, front and rear (in other vehicles) perfectly to get the best balance. So I was reasonably content.
Heard "I Will Buy You A New Life" by Everclear. Never heard the song before. I really dug it.
The guy is separated from his woman and he wants her back. He promises to buy her a garden, a new car, that big house way up in the west hills; I will buy you a new life.
Sounds materialistic on the surface of it, but that's not how I interpret it.
Money buys freedom. Breathing space. Every man wants his woman to live easy. I think the lyrics are exaggerated to make a point. Obviously he will do anything to get her back. But I also think he's talking about providing her a good life.
A woman cannot honestly look into the eyes of her underachieving man without a hint of disappointment. Buying her a new life can turn that look into respect.
It ain't about furs, it's about dignity.
The song also has a couple of lines that support my point of view about money beautifully.
"I hate those people who love to tell you money is the root of all that kills.
They have never been poor, they have never had the joy of a welfare Christmas."

The very next song I heard was Free Bird. I was switching back and forth between classic radio and The River.
What is it with Free Bird? I don't want to love that song. It is a cliche. But I do love it. I was singing loudly, and if I had a lighter with me I would have snapped it to attention and charred the roof of my truck.
It's the beauty of being true to yourself. That's what I dig about the lyrics. Not about a desire to not be pinned down; I think it's about self knowledge and living in accordance to that knowledge.
Easier said than done.

Got me thinking about another Skynyrd song. Simple Man.
A mama giving advice to her son. Written shortly after Ronnie Van Zant's grandmother and Gary Rossington's mother died, based on advice the women had given them over the years.
The lyrics are fabulous. Talking about love, money, trouble, living. "All that you need, is in your soul."
But the lyric that knocks me out is simplistic. Sometimes that's the way it works.
"All that I want for you my son, is to be satisfied."
Your ego convinces you that you are qualified to bring a life into this world. When you look into those eyes and hold that life in your arms, you are in love. Overwhelmed. Knocked out.
You think about how hard life is. How disappointing it can be.
And all you want is for your child to be satisfied. Content. Happy.
Money, fame, career; fine. But what you really want for your child is peace of mind.
Peace of mind. There is nothing more valuable than that.

It was a cathartic ride home yesterday in my 15 year old truck with the sound system that is light years away from Bose.

No comments:

Post a Comment