Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The More Loving One

Randomly came across this poem by W.H. Auden. I dig it.

"Looking up at the stars, I know quite well
that, for all they care, I can go to hell,
but on earth indifference is the least
we have to dread from man or beast.

How should we like it were stars to burn
with a passion for us we could not return?
If equal affection cannot be,
let the more loving one be me.

Admirer as I think I am,
of stars that do not give a damn,
I cannot, now I see them, say
I missed one terribly all day.

Were all stars to disappear or die,
I should learn to look at an empty sky
and feel its total darkness sublime,
though this might take me a little time."


That "let the more loving one be me" is a heavy duty line. Good way to approach human relationships. But what the hell do I know? I am in no position to give advice. Dig the poem if you dig poetry. I love poetry.
If you don't dig poetry, skip it. Find something else that fires your soul and dig that. Time's a wastin', people.


No comments:

Post a Comment