Tuesday, May 29, 2012

A Weekend of Magic and Mystery

The wife and I stepped out of character this past glorious weekend.
We took off.
Unplanned, unannounced, unfinanced. Just like that.
We had ben invited to attend The Sixth (I think) Annual Sarge and Cori Cookout in Saco, Maine on Monday. Shortly thereafter my lovely wife wisely suggested "Why don't we go up Sunday and spend the day on Old Orchard Beach?"
Boom. Done.
Understand that we rarely go away because we are flat broke, so it felt delicious to spend money we don't have indulging ourselves a little happiness.
We were gone approximately 45 hours, not even two full days but it felt like Woodstock; three days of peace, love and understanding.
It was a slowly unwinding, deliciously indulgent get away that reinvigorated our souls.
Hit the beach around 1:00 or 1:30 Sunday afternoon and stayed there until 5:00. Carol crocheted, I dozed, and when I was awake, we talked. We also listened to the ocean and meditated. Just the two of us.
Magnificent.
I made a rookie mistake though by miscalculating the ferocity of the sun. It was an overcast day, windy and on the verge of chilly with periods of blue sky. In fact by 5:00 we were both wearing sweatshirts. Anyway I got burned to a crisp. My face is a beacon of redness and my legs HURT.
But I got a really cool hat out of the deal so everything works out.
We strolled downtown, checked out all the shops, grabbed some grub and sat at a table in the center of it all digging the scene.
Back to the motel, hung on the porch overlooking the beach until my sunburn kicked in and I began to shiver, then we retired to the room to watch the race. Harvick turned in a solid performance so I was happy.
Monday we cleared out of the motel, chowed some breakfast and took a long walk on the beach. Supreme.
Then it was off to the cookout. Perfect day. Cool, comfortable, bright sun, a gentle breeze.
Cori and Sarge are magical people. Two people who know exactly who they are and who are fun to be around. It's rare to meet a couple like that; usually one is cool, one is neurotic. In our case I am the neurotic one and proud of it. But when you have a couple where both individuals are cool, you are in the presence of pure magic and unmistakable awesomeness.
I have a theory that good people attract good people, and Sarge and Cori are proof of that. Carol and I have met so many cool people through them because of the racing connection and the bar (they own Sarge's Tailgate Grille in Saco, Maine - go there, eat magnificent food, and hang in the bar and laugh yourself a good time. DO IT NOW!).
So the crew at the cookout was fun.
And there's always the bonus of family. John, Kevin and Wayne. Talked with them, laughed with them, dug 'em. Made the day even more special.
I met Robin (hope I'm spelling that right). Not sure if I met him for the first time yesterday or if I have met him previously. As I said, we have met many people through Cori and Sarge and the circumstances usually involve alcohol and perhaps something illegal, so my memory ain't exactly accurate.
Anyway, Robin is a scotch drinker. I hate scotch. I drink whiskey because I love it and it loves me. The only scotch I have ever been able to stomach was Johnnie Walker Blue. Deeeeeeeeeelicious, but it costs $210 a bottle. Good thing we are broke because if I drank that I would drink a bottle a week and it would cost me $10,920 a year. I'd have to get a real job.
I'm the kind of party individual that, if somebody says "Hey Joe - I'm drinking gasoline, you want some?" I'll say "Sure and make it a double."
So when Robin offered me some scotch, McClelland's, a single malt, I said sure, but I was thinking all right, let's get this over with.
However..............I liked it. It tasted damn good. Scotch is produced in four regions in Scotland and one of them, Islay is known for smoky, peaty flavor. Apparently that is the type of scotch that my taste buds approve of. Honestly I don't remember if I drank Islay or Speyside, but it was damn good.
Anyway the cookout was a gas; good food, good conversation, lots of laughs. We headed out early because we have a long ride.
Got home and found the cats alert, excited and happy to see us. Great ending to a great short/long weekend.
Man I gotta tell you, something as simple as a quick get away like that can recharge your batteries and fire up your soul. Carol and I experienced sweet, peaceful magic, alone together and in the company of family and friends.
I'm a new man today with a refreshed perspective and red skin.
All thanks to my lovely wife who so innocently said "Why don't we go up Sunday and spend the day on Old Orchard Beach?"
She is so much wiser than me. Thanks, babe.

No comments:

Post a Comment